Crystal Tower: Labyrinth of the Ancients
Party Size: 24 players (three parties of eight)
Time Limit: 120 minutes
Location: Mor Dhona (X:30, Y:12)
Quest: Labyrinth of the Ancients
Level: Level 50
Item Level: 50 or above
How to Unlock the Crystal Tower
The Crystal Tower is the 1st 24 man raid available in Final Fantasy XIV, so of course you want to check it out, right?
To get into the Crystal you have to first finish some quests and a couple of FATES to unlock it. It may sound a bit much, but it really doesn't take long and it gives a little story development on the Tower. The Tower is guarded by 4 potent elemental defenses which will need to be circumvented before you can enter. The elements can be reflected by crystals of sufficient clarity that each of the four Beast Tribes carry. You are asked to acquire these crystals first and report back to Rammbroes. This is where you begin the waiting game for the FATES. When patch 2.1 first launched the FATES had a really long respawn timer, but as of 12/19/2013, the timers will be greatly reduced during a maintenance period.
- Accept the quest "Legacy of Allag" from the NPC Outlandish Man in Mor Dhona (21,8)
- Turn in "Legacy of Allag" to NPC Rambroes at Saint Coinach, Mor Dhona (30,12). Now you must complete two FATES to obtain the Earth and Water crystals
- Teleport to Camp Overlook in Outer La Noscea and go to the U'ghamaro Mines (23,28) to participate in a FATE called "Stopping the Shakes" to obtain the Earth crystal.
- Teleport to Aleport in Western La Noscea and to the Sapsa Spawning Grounds (16,15) to participate in a FATE called "Making Waves" to obtain the Water crystal.
- Return back to Rambroes and give him the crystals, you now must complete two more FATES to obtain the Fire and Wind crystals!
- Teleport to Forgotten Springs in Southern Thanalan and go to Zahar'ak (26,24) to participate in a FATE called "He's a Firestarter" to obtain the Fire crystal.
- Teleport to Dragonhead in Coerthas Central Highlands and go to Natalan (34,20) to participate in a FATE called "The Storm Caller" to obtain the Wind crystal.
- Finally turn in the quest "Legacy of Allag". Now you learn that you must collect 4 different types of aetheral sand! Isn't this fun...?
- Accept the quest "Sanding it Down" from Rammbroes in Mor Dhona (30,12) and teleport to Ul'dah and go directly to the Goldsmiths' guild.
- Travel to Camp Blufrog in Northern Thanalan (21,29) and speak to the NPC "Experienced Adventurer"
- Rescue Wedge in the Abandoned Amajina Mythril Mine in Northern Thanalan (26,22) to retrieve earth-cradled aethersand
- Turn in "Sanding it Down" and accept "A Performance for the Ages" from Rammbroes in Mor Dhona (30,12) and teleport to Gridania to visit Parsemontret in the markets.
- Teleport to Quarymill in the South Shroud and go to the Urth's Gift (30,24) to investigate a Hog's Carcass and get the water-cradled aethersand.
- Teleport to Fallgourd Float in the North Shroud and go to the Ixali Logging Grounds (19,19) to obtain the wind-cradled aethersand.
- Turn in "A Performance for the Ages" and accept "Labyrinth of the Ancients" from Rambroes in Mor Dhona (30,12) and travel southeast of Saint Coinach to the gate of the Crystal Tower
- Follow some storyline for a bit and then you will find the "Labyrinth of the Ancients" Raid available in your Duty Finder!
Labyrinth of the Ancients can be accessed via the Duty Finder when playing solo or in a party of eight players. However, parties that enter the Crystal Tower must fulfill the requirements of two tanks, two healers, and four DPS. Please be aware that you cannot register for this duty if your party does not match this composition. Please note that three parties of eight cannot register for this duty together. Each party must register separately and be matched via the Duty Finder.
So how exactly are you going to organize and play with such a large party of 24 people? Square Enix has implemented a new tool to help form an 'Alliance'. Upon entering the Tower (or any 24-player instanced dungeon), a list of alliance members will become available.
Some notes about Alliances:
- The position of the alliance list can be adjusted via the HUD Layout interface.
- The alliance list can be accessed from Party Members in the Social menu.
- The alliance chat mode will also be available.
- The text command /alliance, /a can be used to switch to alliance chat.
- The position of alliance members is displayed on the map.
- Signs are shared between all alliance members to facilitate strategy.
Rewards in the Crystal Tower
You can receive only one reward item per week for completing duties in the Cystal Tower. In the event you are awarded an item from the loot list, you relinquish your right to vie for all remaining items regardless of whether you selected Need or Greed. In the event the time permitted in the instanced dungeon has expired, and a reward item is obtained automatically, this will also count toward the weekly one-reward limit.
Some notes about Rewards:
- Reward eligibility is reset every Monday at 10:00 a.m.
- Players cannot open a treasure chest belonging to another party.
- Each party in the alliance will receive its own treasure chest, the contents of which will be identical for all parties regardless of the route taken.
Have a guide, tips, boss strategy? Have some cool FFXIV fanart you want to showcase? Submit your resource and we'll get it posted. Depending on the complexity, length and validity of the resource, you will also earn Gil. Gil can be used to cash out for real money or later purchase items from the store! Learn more.
FFXIV Crystal Tower Guide
Everything you need to know about the Crystal Tower: Labyrinth of the Ancients