The Bowl of Embers (Hard)
Eastern Thanalan (16,24)
Location of Dungeon
Party Size: 8
Class: Disciples of War and Magic
Time Limit: 120 minutes
10 x Allagan Tomestones of Philosophy
4 x Allagan Tomestones of Mythology
While your victory over the Ultima Weapon has set off waives of celebration across the land, the jubilation is short-lived, for the beast tribes are seeking to summon their gods once more. Confirmation has arrived that the Amaj'aa have already succeeded in calling forth Ifrit, who is returned far mightier than his last incarnation owing to the vast amounts of crystals he has gorged upon. Prepare yourself for a scorching encounter.
Location: The Bowl of Embers (6,6)
The Bowl of Embers (Hard) is your first post-story trial with the much stronger primals. Ifrit will be your first Hard Mod Primal to take on for your Relic Weapon quest. At the end of the battle, Ifrit will drop one weapon that can be rolled on if needed.
It is basically the same fight you did at level 20 with a few key differences:
- Full Party (8) instead of a Light Party (4)
- Will clone himself as the fight progresses during 'Charge'
- A lot more damage
- 'Eruption' MUST be interrupted
Ifrit will be a challenging fight if someone doesn't fully play their role. For the first half of the fight Ifrit will cast 'Radiant Plume' which you should stay out of, there will a ground indicator warning you where it will be, so you should have a few seconds to get out of the way. Ifrit's other abilities will be 'Charge'... You can tell he is about to do this when he jumps into the air then lands on one side of the room. He will do a straight dash across the room, so just be sure to NOT be in front of him. As the fight progresses, he will clone himself when he charges up to 3 times!
Radiant Plumes appear to always go in the same order, so it is important to be mindful of where the next one will be. Here is the general pattern I have noticed:
Along the wall/outer rim of the Ring => In the center of the Ring => Everywhere (there is a little space in front and behind him
At around 50% health Ifrit will summon 4 'Infernal Nails' that will be in a square formation. ALL DPS should focus on the nails as soon as they summon - Consider using a DPS LB to help ensure they go down because if you don't within a minute (when he casts 'Hellfire'), it will be a sure wipe. If you have a Black Mage (BLM) or a Summoner (SMN) in your party, have them do their Limit Break during the nail phase. If timed correctly, you should have another full bar to cast another Limit Break before the fight is over; which is advised to be used by a Healer!
The party will still receive a lot of damage from 'Hellfire' even if all of the nails went down in time, however, you won't wipe. It is advised to pop defensive cool downs if you have any before 'Hellfire' to help your healers. The Off Tank should be prepared to interrupt an 'Eruption' immediately after 'Hellfire'. The fight will continue with Ifrit casting 'Radiant Plume' and adds a third clone to his 'Charge' ability.
- Tanks: The Main Tank (MT) should immediately taunt Ifrit, pull him to the side of the ring, and face him away from the raid. Carefully monitor your health and use defensive cool downs as needed. The Off Tank (OT) should attack the boss but must interrupt/stun 'Eruption' before he finishes the cast! It is recommended to have a Paladin be OT since they have 'Shield Bash' to stun. Don't stun any other of his abilities as it will give Ifrit stun resistance and may eventually become immune to stun during 'Eruption'. Be sure to not be on a General Cool Down (GCD) when he is casting 'Eruption', so just auto-attack... You can do a couple of abilities once you feel comfortable with the timing - you will eventually have a good idea after you do the boss a few times (trust me, you will do this fight a lot to get your weapon). Another note is that Ifrit usually casts 'Eruption' after he does 'Charge' and the knock-back he does.
- Healer: Priority should be MT, Healers, then DPS. Stay out of Radiant and Charges. Try to conserve mana.
- DPS: Stay out of 'Radiant' and 'Charge'. Focus on boss until around 50% when the nails come down. All DPS must quickly burn the nails as soon as they are down before Ifrit cast 'Hellfire'. If you are a SMN or BLM, be sure to cast your Limit Break during nail phase! If you are a Dragoon (DRG) don't use 'Behemoth Lance' as it has a small chance to stun.
- Vulcan Burst - A medium sized AoE push back on tank. It does not cause a lot of damage.
- Incinerate - Instant frontal breath that deals small amount of damage to targets in front
- Crimson Cyclone (Charge) - Occurs when he jumps in the air and then lands at a random point on the outskirts of the encounter zone he then dashes forward and deals damage to everyone caught in his wake. Easily avoidable. Later on he spawns another clone of himself up to a total of 3 of them that take turns dashing forward. Again, easily avoidable.
- Sear - Instant cast that deals small damage to all targets close to him
- Radiant Plume - Spawns circles of fire either along the walls, in the center of the room, or in the entire room except for a small area in front and behind him.
- Eruption - Be on the lookout for this if the OT misses the interruption It will target a random ranged player in the party and cause around 50% damage, so be sure to run the moment you see it is targeting you! There will be a small ground indicator/warning.
- Infernal Nails - 4 nails are summoned at 50% by Ifrit. They give Ifrit a more powerful 'Hellfire', so they need to all be extinguished as soon as possible.
- Hellfire - Ifrit will cast this around 20%. If you do NOT have the 'Infernal Nail' down - it will wipe the party. However, it will deal a large amount of damage even if you have the nail down. To help alleviate this damage you can have the Tank do a limit break.
Have a guide, tips, boss strategy? Have some cool FFXIV fanart you want to showcase? Submit your resource and we'll get it posted. Depending on the complexity, length and validity of the resource, you will also earn Gil. Gil can be used to cash out for real money or later purchase items from the store! Learn more.
The Bowl of Embers: Ifrit Guide and Strategy (Hard Mode)
General tips and strategy for the Bowl of Embers Ifrit fight in Hard Mode